Clerk of WorksPosted: 04/09/2020 14:24
Job Description Role:
Clerk of Works Location of Employment White Street, Cork City, Cork (Role will be predominantly Cork based with travel as required across the Region) Reporting to Building Surveying Manager Contract Permanent Salary €45,049 - €56,632 per annum Probation 6 months Hours 35 hrs Leave 22 days (+ 3 days office closure at Christmas) Clúid Housing is a progressive and dynamic not-for-profit Irish housing association. Clúid Housing is an equal opportunities employer and proud to be have been recognised as a top employer in Ireland.
At Clúid Housing we firmly believe that our success is down to our dedicated 190+ staff working in every corner of Ireland.
Our company is made up of talented people who bring enthusiasm, confidence, expertise, professionalism and respect to our business. You can meet some of our team by clicking here. Our staff consistently work towards achieving our vision of creating a society where everyone has a great place to live.
Our employees benefit from a great working environment, great learning opportunities, a supportive management team and an extensive benefits package:
- Competitive Remuneration.
- Excellent & Continuous Training Development Opportunities.
- Flexible Working Arrangements.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Programme.
- Excellent Employee Benefits
If the above appeals to you, then keep reading.....and remember Clúid Housing is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Property Services Directorate The Property Services Department is responsible for ensuring our customers continue to live in high quality homes through the delivery of comprehensive and effective asset management services. Whilst our focus may be the “bricks and mortar”, we recognise the need to design our services to meet our current and future customers’ needs, offering choice where possible and ensuring that our tenants and their families always enjoy warm, safe and affordable homes.
The Department has a Dublin based Repairs Team (Clúid Works), supporting three regionally based repairs trade teams delivering a comprehensive repairs service across country. This team works alongside the Asset Management Team, which is also split geographically, and manages the planned and cyclical programmes of work and supports the New Business Team bringing new properties into management.
Role Overview: The Clerk of Works will ensure build quality, compliance and ensure collaborative working between the New Business team and Property Services. The role is varied and from to time may include property surveys, contractor procurement & management, stock condition surveys, defect diagnosis, snagging and tendering. Some of the work will be within people’s homes and therefore will require empathy, respect and diplomacy at all times.
Reporting to: Building Surveying Manager
Key responsibilities Clerk of Works:
- Site supervision of contract works of different building types and all trades, e.g. new-build housing and apartments, traveller accommodation, maintenance works of existing, refurbishment of residential buildings and community facilities etc.
- Monitoring of on-site construction, materials quality and standard; building materials testing and certificate verification.
- Ensuring compliance with contract drawings and specification.
- Measuring and recording all contract variations and carrying out level surveys on site.
- Monitoring and assessment of contract programme.
- Liaising with project architect, engineers and site foreman/project manager.
- Compliance with CoW HSW duties and awareness of on-site safety and participation at and reporting to site meetings.
- To carry out inspections of building work as part of an approved home grant application to ensure all work is in compliance with architects drawings, occupational therapist reports and current Building Regulations where appropriate.
- To process all relevant home grant applications from initial inspection, through interim inspection where appropriate, to final inspection and technical sign-off.
- To liaise with clients, architects, contractors and any other stakeholders to ensure that all necessary technical information is communicated in a courteous and professional manner.
- To carry out a programme of risk based building inspections to ensure compliance with Building Regulations.
- Reporting on the condition of structures, including structures that are protected, specifying repairs, renewals or rebuilding considered necessary to make unfit or defective premises fit for human habitation, and in accordance with the Building Regulations, put them into good repair and prepare estimates of cost thereof: Supervising as directed work of repair, construction, securing or demolition and where necessary issuing certificates of compliance with requirements of such notices.
- To carry out such duties as may be necessary in connection with legal proceedings including attending court and giving evidence.
- Acting on and communicating with departmental referrals from City Council departments as necessary.
- To keep accurate electronic and written records of inspections, notices, Court Orders, etc.
- To carry out such other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Technical/ Property Surveying Services: As required, offer support to the Building Surveying Manager to carry out specific surveying duties to support the delivery of effective and responsive technical services (such duties may include, property inspections, condition surveys, building defect investigations, Fire Risk Assessments and contractor selection and supervision) Offer advice and support to customers and other non-technical staff. Inspect and prepare reports/ specifications on defects and other property condition issues including tendering and contract supervision. As required prepare cyclical and planned programme and service contracts tenders. Other Provide support to the Building Surveying Manager as required Support and offer advice to local Housing Officers and scheme based staff Quality checks on private contractor works Assist in the support & delivery of Cluid Works repairs as required Training Attend training appropriate to your role and ensure continuing professional development General To fulfil all care and high standards regarding both Clúid’s and your own health and safety obligations. To positively promote the Association in all activities To exercise discretion in all aspects of the role Willing to travel with occasional overnight stay as necessary Any other duties which are consistent with your role Corporate Responsibilities Represent Clúid positively in all that you say and do. Ensure a positive, values driven culture within the planning team and ensure all team members are ambassadors for our organisation. Work closely with key business units (e.g. IT, finance, contact centre, regional teams) to ensure effective communication, a single team approach and a collective commitment to continuous improvement.
Key competencies required in the role:
- Technical ability
- Communication and Influencing.
- Quality management.
- Contract Administration
Job Requirements-Education / Qualifications:
- Minimum of Degree required in Building Surveying or related area.
- Managing Safely in Construction Certification or other related qualification.
- Willingness to undertake professional development
Knowledge / Skills Specialist role related knowledge, especially building regulations, contract management & building pathology Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and compliance within a construction setting.
- Verbal and written, report writing, presentation.
- Flexible and effective work style.
- To plan and organise at organisational and personal level.
- I.T skills to intermediate level.
- Attention to detail.
- Financial control and budget management skills.
- Problem solving.
- Ability to set, satisfy and exceed targets.
- Ability to work with work with people showing empathy and discretion.
- Experience 3+ Years’ experience in a similar role.
- Property management.
- Supervising on-site work programmes.
- Experience of contract management in the construction industry.
- Experience in property acquisition.